“Cannabis is becoming increasingly understood that it is a very interesting and versatile medicine with much less toxicity than some of the pharmaceutical products it replaces.”
Dr. Lester Grinspoon
Associate Professor Emeritus
Harvard Medical School
Upland City Councilmember Glenn Bozar is on record describing medical marijuana as “the greatest hoax ever perpetuated”. Fortunately, Glenn is not a medical expert so his opinion on this matter is highly suspect. Sadly, he influences local opinion.
Here are the facts listed below. And unlike Bozar’s wild claims, we provide sources for these facts.
- -Medicare is saving money because it fills fewer prescriptions for pain relief, anxiety and more in the 25 states where medical marijuana is legal. (1)
- -Medical marijuana is the only viable option for some children with epilepsy. (2)
- -Evidence supports the use of cannabinoids for the treatment of chronic pain and spasticity. (3)
- -Over 20 studies show that marijuana (cannabis) has potential to treat cancer. (4)
Ignore the narrow-minded, knee-jerk reaction that voters in 25 states have discarded in favor of a balanced and informed opinion. Marijuana brings risks and we should regulate it closely. But there are legitimate medical applications and marijuana is less harmful to the user and to others than alcohol, cigarettes, heroin, crack cocaine, methamphetamines and amphetamines. (5)
And that study is six years old! Seriously, does Glenn know how Google works?
Vote YES on Measure U!
- (3)Whiting PF, et al. “Cannabinoids for Medical Use: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.”. The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). 313 (24): 2456–2473. doi:10.1001/jama.2015.6358.